Monday, October 11, 2010

"Old-Fashioned" cocktails and the awesome pleasure of using a metal cocktail stick.

Vodka & tonic.  Rum & diet cola.  Corona with lime.  House red.  Besides all being drinks I order when I'm out to dinner (preferably with my pink Lancome Rock Icon lipstick on), these drinks are all alike in another way.

They aren't pretty to order.  Or interesting.  Or, really-when-it-comes-down-to-it, LOVELY.  Yep, I'm saying it.  I want to drink more lovely things.  For all the chicas out there, here me when I say I would like to be a cuter orderer of alcohol.  But not too cute you'll get bored talking to me.  You know what I mean.

And that is where drinking an "old-fashioned" comes in.  It's orderer is saying, "I'm out and about and happy to be here."   It also says:  "drink me, I'm yummy and I've been around since there was even such a thing as a cocktail".  (Old-Fashioned's are officially considered the very first one, circa 1800s...)

Another reason to like it :  it's been known as an "august cocktail".  Pretty.  I thought about the "august" ness of it, and I think it's because you can use real cherries -- not just the bright marachinso kind. 

And talk of cherries reminds me.  There is a different and important pleasure of drinking old-fashioneds when you're not out and about:  It's a perf reason to use your heavy metal cocktail sticks  (and don't even consider telling me you don't have them or won't get them --they're a must have).  Cocktail sticks will lay across your guest's glass to start, creating a great visual and also identifying for it's drinker (I'm a new drink, I'm your drink, enjoy me.)  Then folks can use their cocktail stick as they like.  They can stir it around while thinking about what to say next.  They can put it in their mouth and eat the boozey fruit.  But mostly, they can just enjoy the weight of their real metal cocktail stick and the feel of a cold (short) glass and, mostly, the good fortune of being around you.  And yes that was a run-on sentence because I was hoping for you to feel the fluid fun ness of drinking at home, not worrying about your bar tab or that strange or depressing lady at the next table down.  

I digressed on Old-Fashioned's ... but I'm pretty sure that's what blogs are for. 

So, armed with my Rock Icon lipstick & a re dedication to "lovely" drinking moments and real metal cocktail sticks, I say:  Cheers to you & living cutely.

Recipe For an Old-Fashioned  from Wikipedia)

2 comments:

  1. I spelled "maraschino" wrong but I don't know how to correct things once they're "posted".

    ReplyDelete


Ash after Italian food.

Blog Archive