Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Toasty knit love, a la Marilyn.

With black leggings, coral red lips and great flats, anything can happen.  Add a cable knit sweater, and you might hit the ultimate in darling factor.  Keep in mind, though, that these sweaters can go wrong on the body.  I have been there & seen it happen first hand; a glimpse in the mirror reveals the unfortunate news that said sweater is not looking hour glassy - it's just looking bad & misbehaving on the girl curves.   My ways to avoid the bad ness include:  pushing the sleeves up, wearing a darker color or belting it (as seen on the model pictured).  Sadly, a true cable knit sweater is not low cut.  If it was, then there would not be the un flattering issue.  But like most things in life that are challenging, the cable knit is worth perservering for. It just is.  When worn responsibly and carefully, these sweaters are quite, well --- bangin'.  Marilyn wore one perfectly in Let's Make Love.  The French designer Gerard Darel actually purchased Monroe's original sweater at auction and has replicated the cable knit in cream, blue and khaki.  I am personally thrilled that we will have some Marilyn inspired, wool-wearing woman walking the streets, and though I will not be purchasing the $195 Darel version, I plan to whip out my own knit number, reapply my lip stain, step into some flats and go do me some Marilyn.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for defending the sweater. I've made a couple of these, and it often does wrong on the body. But they are warm!

    ReplyDelete


Ash after Italian food.

Blog Archive