Thursday, March 31, 2011

Artichoke love.

Artichokes are perfectly in season right now.  Yay.  I think you should serve them at your next dinner fete because they're relatively inexpensive and feel special for any menu.  Aesthetically they're interesting on the platter, plus it's a convenient opportunity for your guest to dip a "thistle plant" in lemon butter, (or mayonnaise if you swing for that team.)  Artichokes are a delicious and luxurious side dish, but they could also work for a light main (light if you excuse the hot butter thing.)  If you aren't into "making" them, which is silly, because they're super easy to prepare, just buy some and scatter artfully around.  A bowl of them looks much more lively than a bud vase or garden variety houseplant.  I could describe how to make them, but I'm sure google will tell it better ;)
Wine can be tricky with artichokes because it messes up the chemistry of the higher end varieties.  A crispy dry white is best, but as you can see from my visual, I threw caution to the wind with my dinner companions and enjoyed a full bodied Italian red.  Just don't serve that special bottle that's been haging out in your shoe closet.  Or wait until after dinner because it won't be nearly as delicious as it could be.

1 comment:

  1. I love your table setting... And I LOVE artichokes way too much. xo

    ReplyDelete


Ash after Italian food.

Blog Archive