Tuesday, February 08, 2011

Chicken Soup.


My husband came down with the flu tonight so I'm making a simple soup.  This is a loose list of ingredients & prep directions I turn to when I'm worn through & in the kitchen only because I "have" to be. I like the texture of barley & how quickly it all seems to come together. If I have lemons, like I do tonight, I throw big hunks in; it sounds weird, but it's refreshing when you or one of your babes don't feel good.

Ingredients for Ash's simple chicken, (sometimes lemon y) barley soup:

  • 1 cup chopped onion
  • 1 cup chopped carrot
  • 1/2 cup chopped celery
  • 2 garlic cloves, minced
  • 2 teaspoons olive oil
  • 2  cans chicken broth
  • 1 3/4 cups water
  • salt
  • dried thyme
  • pepper
  • 1 cup chopped cooked chicken (I like to poach the chicken)
  • 1/2 cup uncooked quick-cooking barley

Preparation

1. Saute first 4 ingredients in hot oil in a large pot over medium-high heat about 5 minutes. Add chicken broth, 1 3/4 cups water, and rest of stuff. Bring to a boil; reduce heat, and simmer, partially covered, 23 to 25 minutes or until vegetables are tender.  Add optional lemon & mint at end, if you have it on hand.

2 comments:

  1. This sounds perfect to me right now. I love barley soup! Sorry to hear Dave is sick! Hope you stay healthy. xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had to make this for myself today. I'm trying to keep a cold from settling in and I love my homemade chicken soup. I love the barley you added! xoxo

    ReplyDelete


Ash after Italian food.

Blog Archive